Tuesday, June 28, 2005

My life, in brief Part II

About a week ago the weather was hot, so the kids spent the day outside playing. They were filthy by day's end and needed a bath, and since I'm starting to realize that their precious bathtub days are pretty much over, I decided that one last bathing by mother wouldn't kill them.

I started with Darien, seven in September. He didn't even blink when I said I wanted to bathe him. "Phew!" I thought. Still my baby. I know I'll have to give it up soon, but today I'm still the world to him.

Next was Chynna. Now this is why I'm relating this story. My little baby girl, the one who entered - and dramatically changed - my young life over nine years ago, the one who has been the center of my universe ever since, the one for whom I struggle and strive every day to become a better role model, a better person; my baby girl is growing up.

I was ok when I found her cooking pancakes BY HERSELF about a-year-and-a-half ago. And I only had a mild heart attack when she asked for deodorant about a year ago and I laughed at her saying that she was too young to need deodorant, and then I smelled her...and I bought her some deodorant.

But recently, about the last month, she has started throwing "tizzy fits" and "acting out". "Tizzy fits" and "acting out" are reserved for hormone-filled adolescents. My daughter just finished the third grade. I'm not ready for this. I don't want to be ready for this. Can't I just sign a waiver or something? Maybe a deferrment? Her husband won't mind going through this in fifteen years.

It's a whole new learning process for me. Just when I was beginning to LOVE motherhood. But that LOVE was a love of raising young babes. Why do I suddenly have to learn to love raising a pre-pubescent emotional individual who can't stand her hair EVERY SINGLE MORNING.

But you know what? She is turning into the most beautiful person. I think, with all she's been through she's got an edge on other kids. She's strong and she's independent; definitely NOT a follower. And she's lovely. She cares about people and she has empathy. She's funny and interesting to talk to. At least half the time. The other half the time she's still the little girl who loves her dollhouse. No, now that I think about it, I'm really enjoying this young person. She's really neat. And intelligent. We just got some standardized test scores back and the girl can take a standardized test with the best of 'em! She outranked and outscored not only her entire grade at school, but most of OREGON! Keep it up, sweetie! You are the best!