Waiting to Exhale*
I don't think I've ever shared with you how much I like this title. It's perfect! I often find myself repeating this title in my head. A mantra, if you will. It's a gentle and beautiful reminder that one day I, too, will get my turn to exhale. Because for most of my adult life I have not felt like I get to exhale. Rather, as if I've been holding my breathe, waiting. I never felt as if I was able to exhale with my (ex)husband. Instead it always felt like a struggle; a battle.
Sidebar: (Insert paragraph here to maintain Smivey's sanity.)
But here's the really beautiful part: this simple statement inspires hope. Even when you feel down and out, kicked around, as if life has beat you in this great big match of wills, just remember: one day you, too, will get your turn to exhale. The exhale is there and it's there for anyone who believes in it. The day when you wake up peaceful and cheery, look around and realize that this is your life and it's not so bad. And you know. You know. That it's all been pretty decent and definitely worth it. That you are surrounded by beauty. Beautiful people. Beautiful scenery. Beautiful thoughts. And beauty within. And then - and here's the really wonderful part; are you ready for this? - then you exhale.
*I've never read the book or seen any part of the movie. I know of it; obviously. So if I'm repeating the main theme or seem, in any way, to be copying the content, please forgive me. It is absolutely unintended.
I don't think I've ever shared with you how much I like this title. It's perfect! I often find myself repeating this title in my head. A mantra, if you will. It's a gentle and beautiful reminder that one day I, too, will get my turn to exhale. Because for most of my adult life I have not felt like I get to exhale. Rather, as if I've been holding my breathe, waiting. I never felt as if I was able to exhale with my (ex)husband. Instead it always felt like a struggle; a battle.
Sidebar: (Insert paragraph here to maintain Smivey's sanity.)
But here's the really beautiful part: this simple statement inspires hope. Even when you feel down and out, kicked around, as if life has beat you in this great big match of wills, just remember: one day you, too, will get your turn to exhale. The exhale is there and it's there for anyone who believes in it. The day when you wake up peaceful and cheery, look around and realize that this is your life and it's not so bad. And you know. You know. That it's all been pretty decent and definitely worth it. That you are surrounded by beauty. Beautiful people. Beautiful scenery. Beautiful thoughts. And beauty within. And then - and here's the really wonderful part; are you ready for this? - then you exhale.
*I've never read the book or seen any part of the movie. I know of it; obviously. So if I'm repeating the main theme or seem, in any way, to be copying the content, please forgive me. It is absolutely unintended.

<< Home