Thursday, August 28, 2003

L.M.T.

I've decided to change careers. I'm very excited about my choice. Although I cannot start school until April for financial reasons, my brain has already switched gears and is now in "new career" mode. I'll have to be at this job for another two years (almost; June '05), but I'll manage. I'll be in school for a year, it will cost $13,000, but I'll manage. I'll be up at 7, have the kids to school by 8:15, work from 9 to 5:30, go to school from 6 to 10:15, and then complete homework from 10:30 to midnight, but I'll manage. During 3rd and 4th term, I will be working 6.5 hours every Saturday in addition to school and my regular job, but I'll manage. I'm trying not to think too much about how difficult that year will be, both financially and time-wise.

When I complete school, I will be a Licensed Massage Therapist. I will be trained in sports massage, pregnancy massage, hydrotherapy, and chinese medicine. I cannot explain how exciting and relieving it is to finally have a direction and focus for my career. I was getting so sick of sitting behind a desk, completing paperwork, studying compliance manuals, answering to someone else regarding my time and my work. I finally feel like I'm taking the driver's seat and directing myself towards a rewarding goal. Ultimately, I want to work for myself. I imagine I will spend the first 3-5 years working for someone else, but I will eventually break out on my own. I won't be sitting on my a** all day, I'll have more flexible hours, I'll make about the same amount of money I make now in the beginning, but after building a solid client base, I'll make twice what I make now. And my experience will allow me to charge more. And I can schedule my work around my children's extracurricular activities. That's so exciting! And my job is such that I'll be REQUIRED to maintain a peaceful and relaxing work environment.

I don't know if it's coming across loud and clear, but I'm REALLY EXCITED!