Why? Tell me why?
I was amazed while watching the news the other night. Why was our military encouraging looting? Rioting? Destroying buildings, statues, and beautifully landscaped countrysides? This is Iraq. People live here. This is THEIR home, and these are THEIR buildings. Sacred and special to each of Iraq's citizens. And yet we laugh and encourage, from atop our uninvited and out-of-place tanks, smiling. Smiling at the havoc wreaked.
I have never felt so disconnected from my American-ness as I do right now.
I was amazed while watching the news the other night. Why was our military encouraging looting? Rioting? Destroying buildings, statues, and beautifully landscaped countrysides? This is Iraq. People live here. This is THEIR home, and these are THEIR buildings. Sacred and special to each of Iraq's citizens. And yet we laugh and encourage, from atop our uninvited and out-of-place tanks, smiling. Smiling at the havoc wreaked.
I have never felt so disconnected from my American-ness as I do right now.

<< Home