Appreciation
OK, so my official "quit day" is October 24th. It's been ten days now, and of course it's not always easy. I think about it every once in a while, but since I didn't smoke that much in the first place, I don't fight the urge that often. I think about it when I get into the car. I think about it when I drink a glass of wine. I think about it when I'm with others who are smoking. But I have a couple things that help me through these times.
First, to all the bloggers who reached out to tell me "good job" or "you can do it". To all who have fought this addiction before and come out triumphant. And most especially, to the couple of you who lost a parent while you were young - thank you so much for sharing your stories. Know that your suffering, shared here, may have saved my children your same pain. I can't put a value on that - a million and one thank you's is all I have to offer. It has been your stories during the hardest times that have kept a cigarette from my lips. I am sorry for your loss.
Second, my aunt also quit - about twenty years ago. She was two-packs-a-day back when you smoked at the supermarket. When she quit, she quit cold-turkey. She gave me her secret, which I repeat every time I think about a cigarette. Whenever she'd think about smoking, she'd say to herself, "Silly! Why would you want a cigarette? You don't smoke!" After a while she realized, "Hey - I DON'T smoke!"
Anyway, I just wanted to give you all an update and tell you how much it meant to me the way you all came through with your wonderful comments. Thanks so much. And my children thank you, too.
OK, so my official "quit day" is October 24th. It's been ten days now, and of course it's not always easy. I think about it every once in a while, but since I didn't smoke that much in the first place, I don't fight the urge that often. I think about it when I get into the car. I think about it when I drink a glass of wine. I think about it when I'm with others who are smoking. But I have a couple things that help me through these times.
First, to all the bloggers who reached out to tell me "good job" or "you can do it". To all who have fought this addiction before and come out triumphant. And most especially, to the couple of you who lost a parent while you were young - thank you so much for sharing your stories. Know that your suffering, shared here, may have saved my children your same pain. I can't put a value on that - a million and one thank you's is all I have to offer. It has been your stories during the hardest times that have kept a cigarette from my lips. I am sorry for your loss.
Second, my aunt also quit - about twenty years ago. She was two-packs-a-day back when you smoked at the supermarket. When she quit, she quit cold-turkey. She gave me her secret, which I repeat every time I think about a cigarette. Whenever she'd think about smoking, she'd say to herself, "Silly! Why would you want a cigarette? You don't smoke!" After a while she realized, "Hey - I DON'T smoke!"
Anyway, I just wanted to give you all an update and tell you how much it meant to me the way you all came through with your wonderful comments. Thanks so much. And my children thank you, too.

<< Home